Questions Regarding To Project Improve Responsiveness for OpenELIS 3x

Greetings everyone!
I hope this message finds you well. I’m thrilled to express my keen interest in contributing to OpenELIS Global for Google Summer of Code 2024. The project that caught my attention is:

Improve Responsiveness for OpenELIS 3x

:bulb: Project Objectives:
The objective of this project is to enhance the user experience of OpenELIS 3x by improving its responsiveness across various devices and screen sizes. Currently, OpenELIS React Front end may not display optimally on different screen sizes, leading to usability issues. This project aims to address these challenges by ensuring that OpenELIS 3x adapts seamlessly to large desktop screens as well as medium-sized tablets, providing users with a consistent and intuitive interface regardless of the device they are using.

:thinking:Some Questions:
Before I proceed with drafting my proposal for this project, I have a few questions. Could someone please assist me by providing answers to the following queries:

1. While the project description mentions responsiveness for large (Desktop) and medium (Tablet) screens, can you clarify if ensuring responsiveness for mobile devices is also part of the scope? If so, are there any specific target devices (e.g., iPhone 13, Samsung Galaxy S22) or screen size breakpoints we should consider?

2. Are there any user experience (UX) principles or best practices that I should consider when improving responsiveness to ensure a seamless experience for users?

3. Are there any specific UI components or functionalities that need to be prioritized for responsiveness?

4. Is there any Figma design or simple wireframes for different devices to show how the UI adjusts to tablets and small screens? In other words, do we have any design standards that need to be followed for responsiveness?

:mag: About Me:
I’m Ankit Matth, a 3rd-year Computer Science Engineering student from India. My skills include HTML, CSS, JavaScript, Bootstrap, MongoDB, Express, Reactjs, Nodejs and TypeScript. My passion for making an impact in the medical and healthcare industry was ignited when I developed a team project called “Personal Doctor ”, which won 1st position at HackUniv, an inter-university hackathon. For more details about it, click here. I’m really excited about the opportunity to contribute to OpenELIS Global as it aligns perfectly with my skills and goals. For more details about me, visit my portfolio by clicking here.

I would be glad to have detailed discussion with all of you. Please feel free to add your thoughts on this.
@Moses_Mutesasira @caseyi @Herbert @Brynn @cliffgita

3 Likes

hi @Ankit-Matth

1. while small devices were not explicitly mentioned in the project description, the goal is to create a seamless user experience across various devices, including desktops, tablets, and smartphones due to the size of the project @mozzymutesa you can correct this. also , while specific target devices (such as iPhone 13 or Samsung Galaxy S22) are not explicitly mentioned, it’s essential to consider a broad range of mobile devices with varying screen sizes.

2. There may not be specific design principles(unless I missed the documentation) for OpenELIS 3.x, apart form the adoption of he Carbon design system for UI/UX standardization and modernization. so you will need to consider, generally, consistent UX/UI in features , Usability Enhancements, Responsive Design ImplementationFlexible Layouts, Adaptive Navigation, Use Media Queries, Test on Different Devices

NB:: Beyond responsiveness, the project seeks to introduce new features aligned with responsive design concepts. This meant enhancing the application’s functionality while ensuring seamless adaptability to various device scenarios.

3. Talking about OpenELIS components, @mozzymutesa @caseyi can guide here otherwise looking at the common UI components like Navigation Menus, Forms and Input Fields, Buttons and CTAs, Typography, Tables and Lists … would be great starting points

4. There is no in-house style guide, applicants are encouraged to make designs as part of their project proposal

Good luck with your proposal!

1 Like

Thanks @thembo42 for your time and valuable feedback.

1 Like